Service Times

Sundays:  10:00 am  Worship in Sanctuary

Social Media

FollowUsOnFaceBook Our Flickr Images YouTubeFollowUsOnTwitter

History of LCC Print E-mail

Lakewood 1905


Religious Center is the Disciple Church
Congregational families held prayer meetings at the homes of Lawrence Bramley, the Wright’s, the Eddy’s and the Hoffman’s

Rev. William C. Detling conducted meetings to appeal to the Congregational City Missionary Society of Cleveland for help in establishing a Lakewood Congregational Church.

 

December 8, 1905
At the home of Charles E. Newell, the First Congregational Church of Lakewood, Ohio was formally organized by 27 charter members.
First Congregational Church
December 21, 1905

At the Disciple Church (Detroit  and Park Row), the new church was received into the Congregational fellowship.

Rev. Dan F. Bradley, the new Pastor of Pilgrim Church, preached the sermon.

Rev. LeRoy Royce, Moderator, assumed the care of the church until a pastor was called.
April 1906 - 1908

The Reverend Benjamin A. Williams.


34 members, 48 Sunday School attendees

The Chapel 1906-1915

Temporary Chapel

1908-1909

The Reverend Ross W. Sanderson

Organized young people. Church grew.


1910-1911

The Reverend Edgar E. Scovill

Church grew to 82 members and 152 Sunday School attendees

1912-1917

The Reverend George LeGrand Smith

anuary 6, 1913

Building Committee began work toward a new church

W. H. Nicklas chosen to be architect

Basement completed March 28, 1915

August 8, 1915 corner-stone laid

Cost of church $100,000
November 12 - 16, 1916



Church dedicated
Membership 270    
LCC Congregation - 1915

anuary 6, 1913

Building Committee began work toward a new church

W. H. Nicklas chosen to be architect

Basement completed March 28, 1915

August 8, 1915 corner-stone laid

Cost of church $100,000

LCC Congregation - 1915

November 12 - 16, 1916

1917 - 1939

The Reverend Roy E. Bowers

LCC Grows
1917 – 364 members
1939 – 1,086 members

Lakewood Church Basketball Champs - 1920's

1924 LCC Cookbook

LCC Bowling Lanes

Stage Addition - 1930's

1934 Events

Lakewood Historical Pageant


During the Depression the Social Hall promoted Christian Fellowship.

1939-1948

The Reverend Everett W. MacNair, PhD.

Membership grows
1086 (1939)
1283 (1947)

LCC Welcomes Dr. MacNair

Kill Kare - LCC - 1945

Church Family 1947

Church Wedding - 1940's

Mortgage Burning Ceremony
January 7, 1947


Cleaveland Cross, Edward C. Smith, Merrell M. Brammer, Everett MacNair, Fred Hern, Rev. B.A. Williams, John G. Terbeek, J.B. Meriam

1949-1970

The Reverend Dr. George E. Drew

Ground-Breaking Ceremony
Building Extension 1950's
Addition Underway

The New Addition - 1954

LCC Men

1955 - Golden Anniversary

Children's Choir - 1960's

1971-1978

The Reverend Donald W. Morgan

Choir 1970's

Youth Group

LCC - 1976

1979-1994

The Reverend Lyman G. Farrar, D. Min. Pastor Emeritus

Thanksgiving Service with Dr. Farrar

LCC Staff with Dr. Farrar

Sanctuary Before Renovation

Interior Renovation - 1980's

Christmas Pageants

Summer Music Camp

LCC Festivals and Fellowship

Boar's Head Cooks

1995-2000

The Reverend A. Dale Stohre

Rev. Pamela Cheney
Associate Minister LCC 1998-2002


Youth Musicals / Youth Retreats
Parlor Traditions

Fundraising at the Jake

Jaeckel Organ Installed in Chapel


2004-

The Reverend Mark E. Thomas

Boar's Head 2004


Boar's Head 2004

Mission Trip 2005
DOOR Chicago

Patio Celebration

The LCC Staff 2005

Centennial Garden

Centennial Mural